- This event has passed.
May 6 - June 3
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and is best known by non-Muslims as the month when Muslims abstain from food, drink and other activities during daylight hours.
Ramadan is important to Muslims because it is the month during which the
- Qur’an was first revealed during this month
- Gates of Heaven are open
- Gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained up in Hell.
Many Muslims believe that the ninth month of the Islamic year
- Is blessed by Allah as the month in which the Qur’an was revealed so if they do something good in that month they will receive a greater reward.
- If they do something bad it is a result of their failings and they can not say that the devil tempted them, because the gates of Hell have been closed and the devils put in chains
During Ramadan almost all Muslims will try to
- Be more observant of their religious commitments including attending mosques and participating in daily prayers
- Give up bad habits during Ramadan.
Being Considerate of Muslim colleagues during Ramadan
Understanding the importance of religious commitments will generally be appreciated by your Muslim colleagues.
- The commitment to participate in morning prayers may impact the commute of your Muslim colleagues.
- Muslims who do not observe the five daily prayers may want to do so during Ramadan
- Observing Ramadan includes fasting during the day.
- An important part of the celebration of Ramadan is the end of fast meal each day with family and friends